Main content starts here, tab to start navigating

The Lighthouse Inn, originally known as Meadow Court, is a Colonial Revival hotel building at 6 Guthrie Place in New London, Connecticut. The Mission-style main house was designed by William Ralph Emerson and built in 1902 as a country home for steel industry magnate Charles S. Guthrie. It is one of the few examples of this architectural style in the city. The building and surviving estate remnants were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. It was listed for sale by the city in February 2014 and purchased for restoration in 2016.

The property was developed as a summer estate in the early 20th century by the Guthrie’s. Their decision to locate here was spurred in part by the Pequot Colony resort area located nearby. Charles Guthrie died unexpectedly in 1906 and his widow, Frances, began summering on Long Island. She began selling off parts of the estate for development in 1925, and the main house was converted into an inn in 1927. The inn was popular with Hollywood stars in the 1940s for dining and events, competing with downtown hotels for business.

2022 marks the 120th anniversary of the Lighthouse Inn which will reignite its reputation as a landmark destination to the area.